Flickr

www.flickr.com
Joeythegirl's items Go to Joeythegirl's photostream

Pages

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

You're FIRED!

Remember my "Separation of Church and State?" post. The Mormons fired Jeffrey Nielsen, BYU Professor for speaking out publicly against the gay marriage amendment in the SLC Tribune.

"A letter dated June 8 from BYU Department of Philosophy Chairman Daniel Graham. "In accordance with the order of the church, we do not consider it our responsibility to correct, contradict or dismiss official pronouncements of the church," the letter reads. "Since you have chosen to contradict and oppose the church in an area of great concern to church leaders, and to do so in a public forum, we will not rehire you after the current term is over."

I'm not surprised one bit. I feel for the guy, but he had to know that was coming. I was a little shocked to read his response; "I have no desire to be anything but a member of the church," he said.

I can’t quite wrap my head around wanting to be part of a church whose power structure would actively harm me for publicly stating a belief.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

That's funny. Guess that will show him when to speak out and when to STFU!

Mr. E Mann said...

No kidding. He was a fool if he didn't think his church would abandon/punish him for his actions. And yet he still just wants to be one of them.
It's the irony of the gay mormon. They can't change their sexuality and can't give up their religion and are forever divided.

Unknown said...

That internal division sure is a lot tougher one than the division I feel when I want to eat a Ho-Ho, but, I know that Twinkie the kid will feel betrayed...

Joey C Johnson said...

Jory you are officially the funniest fucker I know, for TODAY. Tomorrow the crown and throne will be returned to me!

Mr. E Mann said...

LOL ;)

Unknown said...

You can have the royal throne and crown and scepter and robe of humor when you pry them off of my cold, dead and therefore humorless body!

Eric, Matrim, and Aviendha said...

Funny as always, Jory. ;)

Codester said...

I don't understand why BYU chooses to punish an educator, who, as far as I know, hasn't harmed anybody. But will repeatedly look the other way when it comes to their football players being accused of rape time and time and time and time again.
And was this guy so public about his sexual orientation? If it wasn't for BYU firing him I never would have known he existed.
By the way, I found some secret gold plates that said that Joseph Smith was gay.

Codester said...

Boy, I used to know how to write.

Anonymous said...

i personally gave him the exit interview, it was a blast!

Joey C Johnson said...

Oh Tom...I was waiting for your comment. I knew you had something to do it with it! At least you had a blast, that's what life is all about.

Mr. E Mann said...

LOL, Part of the Tom Collective. ;)

Donate for My Kindness Project to Honor Jack!