Flickr

www.flickr.com
Joeythegirl's items Go to Joeythegirl's photostream

Pages

Monday, January 09, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Why we moved out of Utah Reason #69

Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller decided to pull "Brokeback Mountain" from his theaters in Utah, shortly before the movie was supposed to start. It's Utah, but I was still a little shocked because Mr. Miller is still showing "Hostel". What the hell is wrong Brokeback Mountain? It's a love story about two cowboys who fall in love but can't be together because of the fucked up Bush lovin' Bible beatin' Bigots that exhist everywhere today.

While reading my favorite blogs today I stopped over in Blurbomat Land and found that he had blogged about the Larry Miller Hypocracy as well. One of the comments was from a Mormon friend of Jon's who was showing his support for the gay community, but it struck a cord with me. How is it possible to be an ACTIVE Mormon and say you have no issues with gay culture/lifestye and have zero problems with gay marriage and support gay rights? The Mormon church preaches that it's not acceptable to be gay. They actually say that people are not born gay, they choose to be gay. Why on earth would anyone choose to be gay in this world today? Tell me WHY? However, if you deny who you are and don't act out sexually or lovingly with someone of the same sex, well then you can stay a Mormon, otherwise you'll be excommunicated. Don't take my word for it, read this:

Gordon B. Hinckley, President of the LDS church responded to the question of the church's attitude toward homosexuality.
"People inquire about our position on those who consider themselves so-called gays and lesbians. My response is that we love them as sons and daughters of God. They may have certain inclinations which are powerful and which may be difficult to control. Most people have inclinations of one kind or another at various times. If they do not act upon these inclinations, then they can go forward as do all other members of the Church. If they violate the law of chasity and the moral standards of the Church, then they are subject to the discipline of the Church, just as others are.

We want to help these people, to strengthen them, to assist them with their problems and to help them with their difficulties. But we cannot stand idle if they indulge in immoral activity, if they try to uphold and defend and live in a so-called same-sex marriage situation. To permit such would be to make light of the very serious and sacred foundation of God-sanctioned marriage and it's very purpose, the rearing of families" (Ensign, Nov. 1998, 71).

I have a few Mormon friends who are still active in the Church and they've told me they support gay rights, including gay marriage. I've always wanted to ask them, but never did out of respect for their choice of religion. But now I am and with as much respect as possible, I just want to understand.

How is it possible to be an ACTIVE Mormon and support gay rights?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was counting the minutes until either you or Jory sound off on this...y'all can't wait to either rip on Mormons or Utah, although i don't know why, you guys got your wish to get away from Utah and all the "Crazy Mutherfuckers" who live here and still the majority of your posts continue to be about these topics. Oh well...although i'm not the most orthodox Mormon around, it just makes me sad when my friends continue to disparage things that i happen to be a part of. Sheesh! Now about those 3-D chalk drawings...

First of all, the theater is Larry's, he owns it, and he decides what is on the screen. There are plenty of other theaters in Utah, probably owned by Mormons, that are showing the film. So its not appropriate to group all Mormons together. The fact that he is showing Hostel is a puzzler. For some reason, violence, which is never good, is just peachy with most people but sex, which is almost always a pleasant thing, is not. The fact that it spurred this controversy shows that lots of people wanted to see it, and because Utah is nothing but crazy Mormons, obviously some Mormons wanted to see the film. I'm not going to see it because i simply just don't have any interest. I have lots of gay friends and they are good people who deserve rights, just as anyone does.

The church does not necessarily excommunicate gays and lesbians. Each case is different.. Pres. Hinckley's statement is fine by me, and i think in harmony with the Bible. Jesus hung out with all sorts of "undesirable" types. He loved them and wanted to serve them, however, i don't think that He always condoned their actions. Nobody's forcing anyone to act or not to act in any certain way, we do have our free agency, and because of it, can freely accept any consequences.

The world is not black and white, and neither is this issue. Believe it or not, there are even Mormons who aren't Conservative Rethuglican clones! A lot of these problems stem from mere ignorance. I think that if a person were to actually know some gay folks, they'd change their tune..

Respectfully yours,
Tom (closet gay cowboy)

ps. have you guys heard about the new tv show, "the Book of Daniel"? Lots of stations across the country have refused to air it, KSL NOT being one of them. Hey, they EVEN SHOW SOUTH PARK on UPN here!

Anonymous said...

ps. Is Jory dead? He hasn't posted anything for almost a month!

Joey C Johnson said...

Tom, I'm truly sorry if you feel sad when I disparage things that you are a part of (the Mormons). This is my blog and this is where I vent. My posts are not normally directed to/at anyone in particular. This one however was an honest question that has puzzled me for years. Not simply how can active Mormons support gay rights when the religion does not, but how can a person be a Mormon if they disagree with the basic beliefs? I think you answered this when you said, "we do have our free agency, and because of it, can freely accept any consequences."
Thank you Tom for answering my question, seriously. Obviously I understood you have free agency, but I've never thought that through. If there is a belief you disagree with, you are willing to accept any consequences. That makes sense. You learn something new everyday.
One more thing...Tom (closet gay cowboy)? I had no idea you were a cowboy! he he he

Joey C Johnson said...

Yes, Jory is dead. ;)

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT! Now back to the fun!...

Unknown said...

NOT DEAD YET! HAHAHAHA! I will be posting something later today, I have been not feeling so well lately and also perusing the available jobs on careerbuilder.com to see if I can find something to do that will pay me, despite my being long haired, big bearded, dirty hippie type. Interestingly enough I have found a few jobs that are similar to the control room position that I held I IHG, also interesting is the fact that these jobs pay $5-$10 more per hour than IHG did...Imagine that, being paid between $16-$21 per hour to tell people they have to come to work...

Joey C Johnson said...

HE'S ALIVE!!!!

Mr. E Mann said...

I've never been fond of Larry Miller myself. It's like Tom said, "For some reason, violence, which is never good, is just peachy with most people but sex, which is almost always a pleasant thing, is not." And I'm sure by now everyone knows how I feel about...ugh!..."most people"! :)
So most Mormons (generalization) are taught (by various sources) to avoid things that they are told are bad (by those various sources), to the point of not even gaining any knowledge about those things since that would lead them into temptation and worldliness. A religion can't very well have too much knowledge happening to it's members instead of keeping the "flock" with the "wool" over their eyes. ;)
So even if gays/lesbians aren't ex-communicated because they don't get "married", or have sexual relations of any sort, etc.; they still have to face ignorance (and all it's wonderful off-spring) from their average fellow church member.
Really when you think about all the actual LDS precepts to deal with, the Mormon life, and all the tedious facts of the situation (no matter how you spin them) a gay/lesbian couple would have to be ready to suffer quite a bit of negative stuff in their life to even attempt to live gay/lesbian and Mormon.
My brother has tried...
I wouldn't recommend it.

p.s. Can anyone really picture the average person in the average UT, LDS ward doing anything like Jesus (as far as hanging out with true undisireables) and not judging them and fleeing let alone caring about them?
Haha...Good thing for the few good ones like our Tom Taylor!

It's great to hear Jory is alive still. I say Jory should take over for that f*ck-wad, Howard Stern and make some money doing unscensored work. ;)

Donate for My Kindness Project to Honor Jack!