Flickr

www.flickr.com
Joeythegirl's items Go to Joeythegirl's photostream

Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I QUIT!


I QUIT! I QUIT! I QUIT!

Monday was my first day at work, we met in the break room at 7:00 am. For the first 2 hours we were already training on our new job. During the 3rd hour we learned all about the company and it's policies. Let me name a few of them for you: Full time shift is 8 hours, the company gives you ONE 20 minute break during the day! ONE BREAK all day! It is a sit down job, talking on the phone all day with only ONE break for 20 minutes! I have worked at 4 other call centers and all of them have provided you with the normal lunch which is 30 minutes - 1 hour and TWO 15 minute breaks. Our training actually told us that they know it's bad for you to eat that fast, but it can be done. I was so shocked when she was telling us about the ONE and ONLY break, that I had to have her clarify it for us. She told us not to worry that we will adjust to it. Now if that was the only thing I disliked about a company, I could learn to live with it.

However, we were also told that the first year of employment you get 1 week vacation but it's UNPAID. You also have 1 week Personal Time, also UNPAID. After two years you get ONE week PAID vacation, personal time still UNPAID. After three years you get 2 weeks Paid, personal time still unpaid. Nothing your fourth year, but FIFTH year you get 3 weeks Paid vacation and personal time is still unpaid. Now maybe all of this means nothing to you, however You Have To SCHEDULE your vacation time TWO WEEKS in advance, but no more than 1 month. You ALSO have to SCHEDULE your PERSONAL TIME within the same time period. So if I plan on getting sick in two weeks, I need to schedule that now. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? After talking to other employees, I found out that it is also nearly impossible to get a day off. After working there for 6 months, they have yet to be approved for a day off. We also don't get paid for holidays until we have worked there 5 weeks, that's not that big of deal. However they only count 4 holidays a year!

They only have one choice for Health Insurance and it was over $100 per paycheck! They also only have one choice for Dental and I have no idea how much that was going to be. But we don't even get covered until after 90 days.

I was told that there was great advancement opportunities because they were aware that I was a supervisor at my lost job. I learned on the first day that it would take me a year and a half! You have to test your way to the next level of the latter and you can only test every 3-6 months. So with no promise of promotion within the next 1.5 years I felt I was wasting my time.

I'm already tired of typing, but one more thing. Their attendance policy is UNREAL. If you have 3 tardys in 90 days, your FIRED! If you are ONE minute late in your first 90 days, you will be put on a FINAL warning. If you are out sick THREE days in 90 days you are FIRED! It was ridiculous!

I went to work drudgingly the next day and while getting a FINAL warning for being ONE minute late, I QUIT! It felt so good, I had made myself sick the night before not wanting to go back. I drove home and gave my husband the bad news, he hugged and kissed me and said he was suprised I hadn't quit the first day. If felt so good to be supported on such a large choice.
So on to finding another job.

Pictured above is our friend's Eric and Athena's boy Matrim. I took this while in Moab, UT last April. I thought this picture was perfect for yesterday because I felt like an Outlaw and Matrim looks like an outlaw with his mohawk!

No comments:

Donate for My Kindness Project to Honor Jack!