Flickr

www.flickr.com
Joeythegirl's items Go to Joeythegirl's photostream

Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

First Appointment...1st Ultrasound at 6 weeks 3 days!

Wednesday May 31, 2006
Jory and I went to my appointment today, we had to wait FOREVER! I drank 32 oz of water an hour before, so I’d be able to pee in the cup. I was having a hard time not peeing my pants! They finally called me back, peed in the cup and back to waiting. After another 30 minutes of waiting, they called us back and the nurse told me we were going to do an ultrasound. No way! Just then my doctor came in and told the nurse we weren’t doing an u/s. No way? She told him I’m far enough along, she did the math, the first day of my last cycle was April XXth so I’m 6 weeks and 3 days along. “Oh, well if that’s the case, let’s do it!”

I’ve had so many ultrasounds I wasn’t really expecting to see anything really. I also remembered that episode of Friends where Rachel and Ross were getting her u/s and she pretended to see it but really didn’t see anything. I wasn’t prepared to pretend, I wanted to really see something.

Baby Bean is Due January 22, 2007!

There it was, plain as day! It looks like a black oval with something super tiny at the bottom. That tiny something is our baby! My doctor measured it and said it’s coming along like a boy. But it’s way too early to tell for sure. A boy? A Boy! OMG we could be having a boy! We really need to find some boy names. We have a list of girl names, those are easy. Boy names are hard.

They congratulated us again and then came the scary news. He was really happy we got in to see him when we did because my body isn’t producing enough hormones to keep the pregnancy. He tells me I need to get my blood tested today and I’ll probably have to get a Progesterone shot ever day so I don’t miscarry. Fear fills my veins. Miscarry? I knew I had a higher chance than most of having a miscarriage but that’s not what I wanted to hear at my first appointment. I try to relax and not stress because that can’t be good for the baby.

We leave the doctor’s office and celebrate when we get in the car. We’re pregnant! WAHOO! Now we can tell our immediate families and some of my close girl friends.

I dropped Jory off and headed over to Sonora, the same place that took 14 vials of my blood a few months back. What’s funny is they recognized me! It only takes like 15 minutes total and I’m on my way home.

On my way to work, I call my mom and confirm that we really are pregnant. She can’t celebrate because she’s in the car with my dad and they’re on their way to California for his birthday. The night before, we agreed to wait until his birthday to tell him because my mom wasn’t going to be able to keep it quiet until Father’s Day. But I could tell she was going crazy so I told her to call me back when they are stopped somewhere and I will tell him.

Not 20 minutes later, my dad calls my cell phone but I’m on a call at work and can’t answer. I hurry and finish my call, walk outside and call him. I asked him if he wanted his birthday gift early. He asked me how I was going to do that since he was on his way to California. I told him I would tell him what the gift was. He said he didn’t want to ruin it, he could wait. I told him he really wanted his birthday gift early. After having to convince him for a bit, he said OK. I asked him if he was sure. He said No No, he could wait. Enough of this, so I told him he did and I said, “You’re going to be a grandpa”. I think he was in shock, so I said, “I’m pregnant!” He said it was the best birthday present ever.

I also called my bestfriend Juli, asked her if she wanted her birthday present early. She told me I couldn’t get her one because I bought her plane ticket when she came out in March. I convinced her it was ok and told her she was going to be an aunt. She was just as shocked and excited as I expected! Jory and I have decided to wait until Friday to call the rest of our families so we can do it together.

2 comments:

Mr. E Mann said...

I've read that the older the male is the more likely they will have a boy instead of a girl. Also the more stressfull of a situation the baby is coming in to will make it more likely to have a boy as well. So if that's right (and it's only a percentage shift not an absolute) then between Jory's age and your body situation the odds should be leaning toward a son. :)

I'm glad they tested you early and got you on those hormones! Scary stuff!

Joey C Johnson said...

Looks like the boy theory may be disproved...so far.

Donate for My Kindness Project to Honor Jack!